Asus RT-AC88U routers include a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network against unwanted access on the internet. Since this firewall blocks incoming connections, you may need to open a port through it for certain games and applications. To do this, you will have to forward the port with a process called Port Forwarding. You may follow the below guide to setup PortForwarding on the Asus router.
PureVPN’s Port Forwarding Add-On – An Easy and Secured Way
If you want to avoid the hassle of manually opening ports, our Port Forwarding add-on makes life a heck of a lot easier and is just what you need. It allows you to use port forwarding simultaneously with PureVPN, so you can seamlessly and securely communicate with any server or device across the world.
- The basic process to open a port is:
- Setup a static IP address on either your computer or device that you want to forward a port to.
- Log into your Asus RT-AC88U router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Create a port forward entry.
- Click the WAN
- Click the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding
- While these steps might seem difficult at first, we will walk you through each step for your Asus RT-AC88U router.
Step 1: It is important to set up a static IP address on the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
Step 2: Now we are going to log into your Asus RT-AC88U router. Your router has a web interface, so you will log into it using your web browser. This can be either Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. It usually does not matter which browser you use.
- Open up your web browser and find the address bar.
- The address bar has 192.168.1.1 in it. Just replace all of that with the IP address of your Asus RT-AC88U router. Your router’s IP address can also be referred to as your computer’s default gateway. By default the IP address is set to: 192.168.1.1
- After entering the IP address of your router, you can simply press enter.
- You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. The Default Asus RT-AC88U Router Username is: admin The Default Asus RT-AC88U Router Password is: admin
- Enter your username and password, and then click the Login button to log into your Asus RT-AC88U router.
Step 3: Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your router. Here’s how to do it. Starting from the first page in your router:
- Click the WAN link near the left of the page.
- Click the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding link near the top of the page.
Step 4: Eg: Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
- Make up a name to put in the Service Name The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it’s simply there so you can know why it was created.
Put the port forward into the Port Range
- Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Local IP You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
- In the Protocol box, select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
- When you are done click the Add
- When you’re finished, click Apply near the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Was this article helpful? Rate and share your comments below. Your input matters to us and everyone else in the Cyber Security Community.