TP-Link TL-WR940N routers include a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted access from the internet. Since this firewall blocks incoming connections you may need to open a port through it for certain games and applications. To do this, you will have to forward the port with a process called Port Forwarding. You may follow the below guide to setup PortForwarding on the TP-Link router.
PureVPN’s Port Forwarding Add-On – An Easy and Secured Way
If you want to avoid the hassle of manually opening ports, our Port Forwarding add-on makes life a heck of a lot easier and is just what you need. It allows you to use port forwarding simultaneously with PureVPN, so you can seamlessly and securely communicate with any server or device across the world.
The basic process to open a port is:
- Set up a static IP address on either your computer or device that you want to forward a port.
- Login to your TP-Link TL-WR940N router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Click the Forwarding
- Click on Virtual Servers.
- Click the Add New
- Create a port forward entry.
While these steps might seem difficult at first, we will walk you through each step for your TP-Link TL-WR940N router.
It is important to set up a static IP address on the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
Follow our Router set up guide to set up a static IP address.
Now we are going to login to your TP-Link TL-WR940N router. Your router has a web interface, so you will log in to it using your web browser. This can be either Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. It usually does not matter which browser you choose to use.
- Open up your web browser and find the address bar.
The address bar has 192.168.1.1 in it. Just replace all of that with the IP address of your TP-Link router. Your router's IP address can also be referred to as your computer's default gateway. b
- By default, the IP address is set to 192.168.1.1
- After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press enter.
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password.
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR940N Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link TL-WR940N Router Password is: admin
Enter your username and password, and then click the Login button to log in to your TP-Link router.
- Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your router.
- Click the Forwarding link near the left of the page.
- You should now see a new menu. In this new menu, click Virtual Servers.
- Click the Add New button near the center of the page.
- Example: Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
- In the Service Port box put the port to forward.
- Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the IP Address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
- In the Protocol, the box selects the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
- From the Status drop-down box choose Enabled.
- Click the Save button when you are all done.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.